Honey, Dates and Almond Cake.
Chopped black Dates..
Dates and milk paste…
The cake batter with almonds..
Honey, Dates and Almond Cake…
Being a military family, we end up missing on celebrating several special occasions together on the same day. One thing we have learnt over time is not to fuss over that and celebrate whenever we are together. So last week, my husband and I were celebrating our anniversary, exactly four months after we were actually supposed to, and I wanted to make a dessert, which won’t be too unhealthy and yet be a rich enough dessert meant for a celebration.
My friend D had brought me some lovely black dates from her hometown, so I decided to make this cake with no added refined sugar , Maida (refined flour) and artificial flavor; and having only the natural sweetness of dates and honey. The end result was a moist cake, not too sweet but having a lot of flavor. We ate some as it was and it went well with Vanilla Ice-cream as well.
250g Black Dates, seeds and stalk removed;
1 cup unsalted butter;
1tsp powdered Green cardamoms;
1 ½ cup whole wheat flour;
1 cup milk (or more to adjust consistency);
20-25 chopped almonds;
1tsp baking powder.
- Chop the deseeded dates roughly and soak in warm milk for 10-15 minutes. Make a smooth paste in a blender.
- Sift the whole wheat flour and baking powder together. Keep aside.
- Beat the eggs, honey and butter together in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the paste made with dates and milk along with powdered Green Cardamom to this egg mixture and mix well with a hand blender until the mixture is frothy.
- Fold in the whole wheat flour+baking powder into the dates mixture with gentle but firm strokes until you get a uniform batter without lumps.
- Now gently fold in half of the chopped almonds in the batter.
- Adjust consistency of the batter to a dropping consistency, use more milk if required. Top the batter with remaining chopped almonds.
- Pour the batter into a greased and baking paper lined baking mould; and bake the cake at 200C for 25-30 minutes, or until the tooth-pick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack, and serve either as it is or with Vanilla ice-cream.